Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Location: Cambodia
Time: July, 2010

My mom is in a souvenir store. Which sells jewellery. She decides on a set of aquamarine set in silver. Then she starts haggling. I'm standing there on one leg and not interfering, jewellery isn't my thing, I just have to ensure that my mom doesn't spend more money than what she has. Cambodian riels are very confusing. The shop girl keeps telling her how beautiful the set is, and how beautiful mom will look in it. Eventually mom gets bored of her line of attack. She says,"This is for my daughter." And points at me. "For her wedding". My stork yoga pose meditation is shattered. I overbalance gracelessly and gawp at mom. The shop-girl also has a really blank look for a moment. I can see her thinking child marriage. (OMG! This child is barely eighteen. Indians are strange!! Ah well, the customer is always right.) She looks at me,"Your marriage???" I blink. "When." I say. "Later." Coherent sentences were refusing to form inside my brain.
"IF!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I think and shout 'if' at my mother inside my head.
Anyway, knockout punch delivered mom triumphantly walks out of store.

2 comments: