Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Sardinha Festival

At six in the evening my father calls me. "Where are you?"
"On the way home."
"Don't go home. There's a parade and some festival here. It starts at nine."
Ok...

So my tired brother and I step off the metro and sit and wait for our dad. We have already visited the Gulbenkian museum that day. Then taken a bus to see the ancient Roman aqueduct. Then tried to walk back to where we started from and realized that the bus had been faster than we'd understood and trudged a long way uphill. We make our way to this viewpoint near downtown and sit down on a bench. A man with a dog asks me for money. I pretend not to speak any european language. Yes, not even english.
To add to our misery, there is a freezing wind blowing.

Dad arrives a little later and we're on our way to Alfama, an old neighborhood in Lisbon. And the festival starts right from the metro station. The streets are festooned with streamers and lamps. There is music blaring out of every store. There is a grill outside every store where they are frying sardines. Beer and sangria flow freely. People in the thousands are flocking to the party, swaying to the music. The whole neighborhood IS one giant party!

We taste the sardines. Sardinha no pao. Or sardines on bread. It's yum and there's also a dog sniffing us and trying to get in on the goodies. Dad and I take flight. Then dad and bro buy a beer. One sip each and they are ready to donate the rest to me. Ah the kindness! I refuse point blank. "I shall need to pee." What is it with my family's belief that I will be there for them to finish their beers? Of course, I do finish it for them with a quick chug and then pay to pee at the train station. My brother says its against his principles to pay to pee! I later have to persuade him to run into a restaurant and use the WC. The guy has principles about not paying to pee and also about not peeing in a restaurant where he is not eating/paying. What? Isn't that contradictory?

At some point past midnight we stagger back home. 

Pictures shall be added later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment